Sunday, June 03, 2007

Heroin and Crystal Meth




Ok, so have I been living in a bubble or what? I didn't know that heroin and meth were so big. I mean, I know that crack was big back home. But, geez, it seems that there is a large population of heroin and meth users here. A lot of people here are users. And they all complain that you have to stick them a lot to try and get an IV on them. Well, all I can say is, don't complain because you have ruined your veins. I didn't ask you to shoot up, or suck on that pipe. You made a choice to do these things. You have to live with the consequences of your decisions. I don't. I just have to take care of you. I'm the one that has to find some way to get the IV antibiotics into your wasted venous system, so maybe that abcess from skin popping won't go septic. Maybe you will live to see another sunrise. Maybe see your children grow-up. Or not. I guess it's the will of the needle there.
Sorry folks, I guess i'm letting my frustration boil over into here. I find it so hard sometimes to take care of those who don't care about themselves. But, I go in do my job and hope that they make it thru the night. I know the needle is calling. And they have to answer that call.
Hope all is well in your lives. Drop me a line and say HI.

5 comments:

TravelingNurse said...

It's so hard to take care of the meth and heroine users. You want to help them but ultimately they have to help themselves. I worked with them a lot in Salinas. Good luck and don't let them get to you. It's gonna make the 22 in a row more difficult I bet. Look on the bright side...it's good for your I.V. skills. lol.

Killer said...

I hate hate hate druggies when they come into the hospital. They just want to get more drugs, and they all seem to want a lot of hot chocolate.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jim,

Just wanted to say hi, and hope you are enjoying your stay in NM.

Susan S.

Anonymous said...

It saddens me that healthcare professionals such as yourselves have such little understanding and empathy towards addicts, you really have the us and them attitude down to pat don't you. Don't you think there life is full of enough shame without having to experience it in the healthcare setting. Im sure if these addictive substances where that easy to give up there would not be such a growing problem in our society grow up people.

JLeonard said...

Its not that I have a holier than thou attitude. It's just that they want to complain about how long it takes to get an IV in veins that are totally ruined by their addiction. As I said you are a product of your choices. Whether it be an alcoholic, drug addict, or someone that cant control their spending. All of these people make a choice. I didn't make that choice for them. I just have to deal with the consequences of their choice.