Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Stress Reduction



You know nurses are known for the caring that they bring to work. You are expected to be diligent in all that you do for your patients. Most of the time to the detriment of your own health. I can't even begin to count the number of shifts i've gone without a lunch break or even a trip to the bathroom. You are expected to take whatever the abuse is that a patient or family member wants to heap on you. It doesn't matter how far backwards you bend to see that their needs are met. And if you don't then said patient or family member will complain on you to the next shift or even administration. And of course in this day and age of the client is always right, management will come down on you. Regardless of how well you did your job.
That's why I think that as part of the compensation package for nurses there needs to be a stress reduction day. A day when you can take out your frustration in any way you choose. I personally think that a day of boxing would be the way to go. Lace on the gloves and go a few rounds. Somedays when I leave the hospital I fill like I could go fifteen rounds with Tyson and not break a sweat. Just run off of pure frustration.
I'm not saying that every nurse has to box. Shoot you can go hiking or sky diving, whatever does it for you. I just kinda like the boxing idea.
Anyway thats just my opinion. Give me your ideas or comments. The trash talk is done, ring the bell and lets dance.

4 comments:

Killer said...

I think you should be able to choose atleast one patient or family member a year to box.

There are quite a few that I wanted to beat the shit out of. I have had dreams where I showed up at their house and pummeled them mercilessly.

TravelingNurse said...

Of course I like killers idea as well, but, I think we shouldget a day to be ourselves and not have to bend over backwards for anyone. A day where you don't have to be nice, be able to say what you want to say.That would relieve some stress.

laughing said...

I think that a good stress reduction day would be to make the most annoying patient, client, customer, or whatever do your job for you once a month or so. You just follow the a**hole around and supervise while the a**hole gets to see how it feels to get yelled at for stuff that is someone else's fault, do a lot of work and then not get a good tip, do a lot work and then end up with little or no commission, have his time wasted, have to do the same thing over and over again for no reason, etc....

Maybe people would be nicer if they knew that there was such a great prize for being the month's biggest a**hole.


Hey, do nurses have that insurance against lawsuits like doctors do now?

Unknown said...

Excellent …….Your idea of stress reduction day sounds different and interesting to me. Stress is there in every profession and your idea is really good to follow. Please have look at my ideas and plans of stress relieving.