Thursday, August 26, 2004

It seems that some people here in the north have a bad idea of the South. I ran across this a couple of years ago on the 'net and thought that it pretty well summed up my feelings of all things Southern. I hope you enjoy.....

I am always amused by Hollywoods interpetation of the South. We are still depicted as a collective group of sweaty, stupid, backwoods-minded, and racist rednecks. The South of movies and Hollywood is not my South.
This is my South....
My South is full of honest, hardworking people.
My South is colorblind, we don't put a premium on pigment. No one cares if you are black, white, red, or green with orange polka dots.
My South is the birthplace of blues, jazz, and rock and roll. It has banjo pickers and fiddle players, but it also has B.B. King, Muddy Waters, the Allman Brothers, Emmy Lou Harris, and Elvis.
My South is hot.
My South smells of freshly mown grass.
My South was the South of the Partridge Family, Hawaii 5-O, and kick the can.
My South was bird hunting, creek swimming, and cane pole fishing.
In My South Football is king, and the South Eastern Conference is the kingdom.
My South is home to some of the most beautiful women in the world.
In my South soul fool and country cooking are one in the same.
My South is full of fig preserves, corn bread, butterbeans, fried chicken, grits and catfish.
In my South we eat foie gras, caviar and truffles.
In my South transistor radios introduced us to the Beatles and Rolling Stones at the same time as the rest of the country.
In my South grandmothers cook a big lunch every Sunday.
In my South family matters deeply.
My South is blackberry cobbler, boiled shrimp, peach ice cream, banana pudding and oatmeal cream pies.
In my South people put peanuts in bottles of Coca Cola and hot sauce on almost everything.
In my South the iced tea is almost as sweet as our women.
My South has air conditioning.
My South is camillias, azeleas, wisteria, and hydrangeas.
In my South the only person that has to sit at the back of the bus....Is the last person on the bus.
In my South we still say "Yes Ma'am", "No Ma'am", "please", and "Thank You".
In my South we all wear shoes..most of the time.
My South is the best kept secret in the world. Please continue to keep the secret. It keeps the idiots away.

But it makes me wonder...If the South is so bad, why are more and more northerners coming to the South? Shoot if it's so bad, please remember. Interstate 55 and 81 run north as well as South.
Please leave me a comment. Let me know just how off base I am here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GO GET BABE! I LOVE YOU, JULIE

Killer said...

I may talk smack about the South, but after travelling to every state in the U.S. and to Many other countries, I am still going to come back and live in the South. It's in my blood.