Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Nurses Week


Well to all of those that read this that are in the nursing field I just want to wish you a big HAPPY NURSES WEEK. It's great..one week a year we are given free meals and some small token from the folks we work for to show their appreciation for us being a nurse. I guess that makes up for the long hours we put in doing our best to care for a growing number of increasingly sick patients out there. It's amazing that with the shortage of nurses out there we are getting more and more responsibilty heaped on us. The goverment dictates how much paperwork we have to do. And of course the legal environment that our country is in now makes us have to spend more time charting than we do actually caring for our patients.
And speaking of the nursing shortage....why arent more folks coming into the nursing field? My thought is that it just isn't lucrative enough for them anymore. And as I said before the paperwork and everything tends run more people away from nursing.
Of course who in their right minds wants to be bled on, vomited on, and given the opportunity to play in someones elses body fluid when they could be setting up somewhere programming computers for more money and better working hours. Oh but wait, the joy of digging things from some poor schmucks anal orifice is more than compensation for the education I worked so hard to get.
Ok enough bitching, I really do like nursing. I mean its great that I am getting paid good money to travel the country and work. i have no rent, house note, or utilities to pay. All the money I make is mine. Ok GMAC and VISA get their share. But the rest is mine.
So anyway.....You nurses out there have a great week, keep on doing what you do. And remember, you may not be told very often, but what we do is important. And someone does appreciate what we do.

1 comment:

TravelingNurse said...

Don't forget old Florence's birthday on the 12th. We appreciate eah other even if no one else does, huh? Have a good one...so far I have gotten a stupid light to attach to my stethoscope (unsure of the purpose) and another strtchy thingy to put my badge on for nurses week...what'd you get?